New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: How to make `screen` behave like a native shell?

Ask HN: How to make `screen` behave like a native shell?
2 by tobwen | 0 comments on Hacker News.
I've been using `GNU screen` as my primary terminal multiplexer for about 15 years. It allows me to run different sessions in the background and resume them. Although I'm aware of other tools like `tmux`, my muscle memory has kept me loyal to `screen`. One thing that always frustrates me is that a screen environment doesn't feel like a normal shell session. For example, when I log in via SSH into Bash, I can scroll back almost infinitely, all shortcuts (like CTRL + arrow keys) are available, and there are no visual or audible bells. Does anyone know a way to configure `screen` or `tmux` to behave exactly like a native shell session? Or is there another alternative that I'm not aware of?

Comments