New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Struggling with poor memory and executive function. What to do?

Ask HN: Struggling with poor memory and executive function. What to do?
10 by regainmemory | 3 comments on Hacker News.
In my late 30s and have always struggled to effectively build a career, network, life. Has only occurred to me that this may due to what seems to be a deficiency in my memory. I've had a wealth of experiences, both good and bad, but few have found their way into my mental models of how the world works, and so I keep making the same mistakes or am unable to effectively navigate my way to a specific goal. From learning new topics & skills, to learning how to network, to learning the dynamics of how an organization and how to navigate various relationships, to making well-reasoned and effective decisions, my mind often feels like mush, totally blinded to the realities of the world. I feel I've been stuck both cognitively and emotionally at a late-teen stage. Poor emotional regulation, difficulties with thinking in nuanced details, constantly flying at 1000 feet. The older I get with no improvement, the more it feels my goals keep drifting farther away. I want to get fit, I want to read more, I want to develop skills, I want to build relationships, I want to be an entrepreneur. These are things many of my colleagues have been working towards for years. It feels like I just wasn't given the playbook, and worse, am incapable of piecing one together. Have any of you dealt with this? Any advice? Are there coaches that can help?

Comments