New ask Hacker News story: Mental health in shambles – should I quit?

Mental health in shambles – should I quit?
3 by anxious_ape | 12 comments on Hacker News.
New grad here. 4 months ago I began my first full time job at Amazon - was an RO after 2 successful internships. Lately, I've been battling a huge uptick in anxiety, both in and outside of work. I feel like I can't interact with any of my colleagues without masking an internal panic. I feel like my company sees me not as a human but as a set of metrics to be judged and compared against. I feel my humanity is sucked away under the guise of corporate kool-aid principals such as "Customer Obsession". I feel precarious knowing any health related issues may be used against me. I shutter at the concept of on-call. It's not so much the mental rumination that puts me over the edge, but the fact that the stress has spilled over into physical pains. I have a history of psychosomatic pain, and I have recently begun to experience this again. How bad does it look to quit this job after just 4 months? As a new grad, I have no work history outside of this, and I fear it will be a major blow to my job prospects.

Comments