New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: What is a simple CMS for personal blog / static website

Ask HN: What is a simple CMS for personal blog / static website
4 by albert_e | 3 comments on Hacker News.
I host a personal blog as Static website on Amazon S3 -- really small one -- I suspect I may be the only one who reads it :) I used plain Hugo on my local desktop initially to build and publish. Once it got tedious I switched to Netlify (free version, before the rebrand) with github integration to do the builds and deployments. Netlify CMS is barely useable -- with not even an option to "save as draft"! There is no great way to origanize / re-organize the content, cross-link posts, embed youtube videos, etc. Writing a blog post there is a chore - and formatting it is painful. So I mostly avoid it unless I have a LOT of free time. It is 2024 and I was hoping there are simple self-hosted solutions / free-tier managed services that can support a simple website. Something were I can use a VS Code or Obsidian or Notion like interface to quickly author long text, freely play with the structure, maybe use markdown or similar, easly link to other posts, embed media, add images without needing dozen clicks, etc. and save drafts / maintain versions / publish / unpublish with ease. Looking for any recommendations on current tooling.

Comments