New ask Hacker News story: HP blocks printing with non-HP inks

HP blocks printing with non-HP inks
3 by ColinWright | 5 comments on Hacker News.
From Joshua Weiner, replying to his friend Darin[0]: I was printing worksheets for my classes and ran out of colored ink. The printer had plenty of black ink. HP internet blocked my printer saying I purchased colored ink that was not HP brand. So what?? Anyway, I had reinstalled HP ink for black ($40 approx) but had no money to buy colored ink so I left the empty HP cartridges in the printer. I only needed to print black and white worksheets. HP blocked me from printing anyway, with a wireless message. I called customer support and told them I don’t need the colored ink. I need to get these worksheets to the students. They told me I violated the HP ink rule and had installed non-HP ink a few months ago. I told them well… yeah I did that purchase but HP printer rejected the cheaper brand and I threw them away. They said it is noted… I told them who cares all the HP ink is now in place and I need to use the large black ink cartridge. They needed video proof. I let the customer support wench Marissa use my cell phone camera to prove I had empty colored HP and HP black installed. She said it was good. Then I was told I had to buy colored ink $58.72 and put the new ink in place if I wanted to use my printer again. Paid them the damn money and should have the ink in seven days. She gave me a 15% discount but it is from HP website and the prices are inflated anyway. [0] https://ift.tt/y3trcb5

Comments