New ask Hacker News story: Programming from the Humanities

Programming from the Humanities
2 by fizzbucket | 0 comments on Hacker News.
I'm finishing an Oxbridge doctorate in the humanities, just in time for the entire academic job market to disappear. Meanwhile, I've written a novel which is about to be published with a fairly substantial advance into a post-COVID environment where books aren't really selling. For many years I've been programming as a hobby, a way to think logically and clearly which isn't stuck in the ambiguities of my day jobs. But now it's starting to feel like my best chance of a career is in programming. What do people reckon is the best way to move in to this new field quickly, given that I don't have any more than a few months job experience in computing to offer and am old enough that I really don't want to do yet another degree, especially since I've been spending my free time on non-computing things, where I've succeeded but not in a way which helps me get jobs in a new field? I'm confident that I can write decent clean code with a basic awareness of algorithms and complexity in a handful of languages, and have code to prove it if asked, but don't really know how to get to the stage where hirers might ask.

Comments