New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: I got a coding assignment I don't think is reasonable

Ask HN: I got a coding assignment I don't think is reasonable
3 by bryanrasmussen | 4 comments on Hacker News.
I interviewed at a place that wants people to be able to work full-stack but said they were willing to accept that not everyone was able to do so at the beginning. The middle layer is implemented in a language and framework I haven't worked with since 2013 (the language I have used but only because a well known testing tool uses it for scripting so that's what I use it for). When first approached I specified to the recruiter and to the company my limitations with the language and framework, in the interview I said I believed I could still do maintenance level coding in it (framework is MVC so maintenance is add some stuff to controller etc. ), but it would take me some weeks to a month to be able to contribute meaningfully. I said I was strong in Frontend, and I could of course do middle layer / backend work in other languages / frameworks I have used more recently. So the take home assignment is to implement a financial payment api (with validation of Iban etc. ) in the language, framework I have not used since 2013. A '4 hour' assignment, from scratch. I think this seems a little bit more unreasonable than the normal 4 hour assignment that actually takes 6-8 hours. How do you think I should approach this particular thing - I'm thinking call the recruiter and say not that interested in doing it. Other suggestions? on edit: as always they don't "expect" you to finish the whole thing, but given what I told them I find it weird they would expect me to do much more than make some boilerplate.

Comments