New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Breaking into SWE – Bootcamps or Competitions?

Ask HN: Breaking into SWE – Bootcamps or Competitions?
2 by legerdemain | 1 comments on Hacker News.
I have had a lot of trouble breaking into software engineering with just a Github portfolio and an unrelated degree. Basically, my applications get no response from companies. I discussed my plans to join a bootcamp-style program with a friend who is a Google engineer. My friend told me that bootcamps are a waste of my time and money and that he believes that anyone can break into SWE with just a few weeks of trying. His suggestion was to join and score well on programming competitions (such as Google Kickstart), which he describes as a direct funnel to SWE jobs. I have not heard of this option before. I have never tried competitive programming, so I do not know how much effort it takes to win at them. My Google friend says that the effort is minimal and that these competitions have a low bar to score well. Are code competitions an option you found useful during your job search? Would you recommend this path?

Comments