New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Should I Go Back to College?

Ask HN: Should I Go Back to College?
3 by hncollege1234 | 2 comments on Hacker News.
I've been thinking about going back to college but I'm unsure if it's a good decision or not. I've talked to many friends and family and they also seem split on it. I'm 32 years old and currently working as a senior fullstack developer. I have an associates degree in science but I never pursued a computer science degree, I'm self taught and started with a junior developer position and now around 8 years later, I'm here with a senior developer position. In the past I thought about it but I always felt good about where I stood with my career. I've not something I necessarily love, but I think I'm decent at it and it's a good living. Lately however, after layoffs, the bad job market, and the uncertainty with AI, I've felt more anxious about my future and I've really been putting serious thought into going back to college. I would like to get my electrical engineering degree and focus on power systems. However, I worry about whether it is worth the money when I could spend the money on a house or other expenses. I know I won't be making more money but I like the idea of the type of work and the employability of it. I'm not married but I am in a serious relationship and we would like to have kids in the next two to three years. I know it would be hard now to go back to school with that plan in mind but it would be even harder after that so I feel like this is a decision I need to make now, one way or the other, and stick with it. Any advice or stories of personal experience with this is greatly appreciated.

Comments