New ask Hacker News story: OSS, security and Funding: libjpeg-turbo
OSS, security and Funding: libjpeg-turbo
4 by ternaus | 2 comments on Hacker News.
libjpeg-turbo is behind nearly every image you see on your computer, phone or any other digital screen. I also use it during computer vision model training. Every image that goes through my model, should be decoded. At some point I did a benchmark of python libraries that decode JPEG images https://ift.tt/yBe8zYq All top libraries use libjpeg-turbo. The library is heavily optimized => I made a PR with a small improvement of 3%. Not groundbreaking, but small is better than nothing. The PR was refused. > That is not compelling enough to justify the potential disruption. Huffman decoding and partial image decompression have been the source of a disproportionate number of security issues found in the library over the years. > Google contributed the partial image decompression feature in 2015, but I continue to have to spend unpaid hours fixing it 11 years later (including 18 unpaid hours fixing #915 a few weeks ago) while Google is ghosting me on a security patch rewards payment I earned six months ago. > Meanwhile, the libjpeg-turbo General Fund is so far in debt that it will take until 2028 before it is replenished at the current rate of replenishment, and that assumes that I don't have to spend a lot more unpaid hours fixing newly discovered bugs. > Playing at the margins like this unfortunately isn't a good fit for a project like libjpeg-turbo that is so heavily scrutinized and chronically underfunded. ---- I.e. Nearly everyone who uses internet uses libjpeg-turbo every day, but very impactful work goes unpaid. P.S. Looked for a way to donate some money via GitHub sponsors, but did not find such an option. P.P.S. And now, when rewriting other people's software with LLMs became easy... Long live OSS.
4 by ternaus | 2 comments on Hacker News.
libjpeg-turbo is behind nearly every image you see on your computer, phone or any other digital screen. I also use it during computer vision model training. Every image that goes through my model, should be decoded. At some point I did a benchmark of python libraries that decode JPEG images https://ift.tt/yBe8zYq All top libraries use libjpeg-turbo. The library is heavily optimized => I made a PR with a small improvement of 3%. Not groundbreaking, but small is better than nothing. The PR was refused. > That is not compelling enough to justify the potential disruption. Huffman decoding and partial image decompression have been the source of a disproportionate number of security issues found in the library over the years. > Google contributed the partial image decompression feature in 2015, but I continue to have to spend unpaid hours fixing it 11 years later (including 18 unpaid hours fixing #915 a few weeks ago) while Google is ghosting me on a security patch rewards payment I earned six months ago. > Meanwhile, the libjpeg-turbo General Fund is so far in debt that it will take until 2028 before it is replenished at the current rate of replenishment, and that assumes that I don't have to spend a lot more unpaid hours fixing newly discovered bugs. > Playing at the margins like this unfortunately isn't a good fit for a project like libjpeg-turbo that is so heavily scrutinized and chronically underfunded. ---- I.e. Nearly everyone who uses internet uses libjpeg-turbo every day, but very impactful work goes unpaid. P.S. Looked for a way to donate some money via GitHub sponsors, but did not find such an option. P.P.S. And now, when rewriting other people's software with LLMs became easy... Long live OSS.
Comments
Post a Comment